Monday, June 21, 2010

Where were the cameras

Where Were The Cameras?

I was not sure this morning whether to laugh, cry or sigh at this news story. An American citizen with several names was detained by Pakistani police on a self-proclaimed mission to hunt down Osama Bin Laden. Our very own missionary was caught with a dagger, a pistol, a sword, Christian texts, and night vision goggles according to news reports. He was caught in Chitral, Pakistan, an area rumored to hide Mr. Bin Laden. How did he know that?
Waking up with my morning coffee in hand and laptop browsing thru the many news worthy stories I came across this one. Is this a joke? This has to be a scene from the new Die Hard series or a reality show gone terribly wrong. Really!!!
The events that lead to his capture are quite amusing. Straight from the script of a sensational Holly weird plot, this construction worker, with failing kidneys checked into an Inn and went missing the next day. He was spotted acting somewhat suspiciously in a security zone, threatening to kill anyone who got close to him. His sister, allegedly, was interviewed by a newspaper, and she spoke about her brother’s health issues and his over-zealous religious nature from youth.
Are you with me or am I the only one with the inability to wrap my mind around this ‘situation’. What do you think would have happened if our very own John McClane would have single handedly caught Mr. Bin Laden? A feat that was made extremely impossible by the most powerful military in the world, the U.S. Army. I’m sorry I don’t know the answer to this question, thus my asking.
Did Mr. Faulkner embark on such a quest for fame or was it a truly genuine mission? Then I will now ask why not something a little more attainable like the alleged Jamaican crime boss, that the U.S. government is so hell bent on extraditing or the Mexican cartel whose U.S., Mexico border debacle has cost thousands of lives. I’m not sure but is America still searching for Bin Laden or should we be concern with Iran’s plan to embellish their nuclear strength.
We are living in a time where it is very hard to differentiate from reality and fiction. In a country as powerful as ours we can’t even contain an oil spill, or subdue domestic terrorism. Another story straight from a movie plot, two men were captured trying to break into U.S Central Command. In the letters of my eleven year old niece OMG. I only wish cameras were rolling so we could have observed Mr. Faulkner’s attempt to apprehend America’s most wanted, Osama Bin Laden. I bet a dollar it would have been more entertaining than Die Hard, Air Force One and Fugitive combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment